Thursday, October 28, 2010

NaNoWriMo Approaches...

I can't wait to have an excuse to spend all my free time filling a blank screen with lovely, lovely words!


 Last year was my first attempt at the 50 000 word challenge - I made it to 10 000. This year, I want to at least double that output.  You writers out there will know how difficult it is to get so many words out while still keeping up a good plot going.  Or maybe it's just me.  I have a huge wall whenever I try to pull my guts out and smear them into sense.  So, the method I'm going to employ this go around is the age-old technique of word vomit, or stream-of-consciousness, whatever you will.  But, there will be semblance of order: every chapter will be based on a word of the day.  I need to expand my vocab most desperately.  And there will be characters! And a plot! I'm going to try not to be all post-moderny, but considering one of the characters is going to be a punk in an anarchist environment, I'm making no promises.


If you like writing, you may want to consider taking up this challenge yourself - it's definitely motivated me to write more honestly and it's a lot of fun seeing what comes out of a month full of writing! 

1 comment:

  1. Someday, I'm going to do NaNoWriMo, but not this year. I admire you for tackling it while a student! Sometimes, just getting the words out is so important. You can revise later - and many great writers say that revision is the most important part of writing. But to revise, you need something to start with, and sometimes that's the hardest part of writing. So "vomit" away! :) And good luck!

    ReplyDelete