Monday, October 25, 2010

It's beginning to look a lot like...

SNOW!

This day has been the best.  Snow under my new boots, snowflakes winding to the ground on every side, the cutting cold finding the holes in my green knitted scarf.

People have varying opinions on this silently glorious precipitation. Some love it, some hate it, and some, especially in Canada, treat it as someone who was in class with you a couple years ago but who's name you can't remember. A friend and I have ongoing dialogue about the nature of snow: I think it's a beautiful part of God's creation; he thinks it is of the devil.  At least Albertan snow is.

I love snow. Let it be known.  Though Fall has its fragrant mementos, and Summer its warm concrete, Winter has snow, and for that it wins my heart.  Let there be no Narnian undertones - snow's in the Bible, I don't care what else you try to translate it as (unless it's true).

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you - I love snow! Everyone out here seems to think that we're lucky to have escaped Alberan winters for "warm" (cold, rainy) Victoria. Hearing all of you back in Alberta talking of the first snow - the best snow of the year - makes me want to come back. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. aww, I'll throw a snowball for you!

    ReplyDelete