Monday, November 1, 2010

Trick or Treat

We live next door to this mansion, right, but even that didn't prepare us for the masses of children and teenagers who ended up on our doorstep.  Costumes are great; candy is great; but the thing I love most about Halloween is that it's one of the last strongholds of community that's left in our individualist culture.  The one time of year where neighbors interact, share words about the day, and share their wealth.

A few of our number went Trick or Treating (to four houses, just for larks), then handed out candy (and made a Save-on run when we ran out), read "The Raven" and "The Tell-Tale Heart" aloud, watched "Nightmare Before Christmas", and went out to a friend's house for a game of Cranium.  I was on a joy-high all night, and it wasn't from all the sugar I consumed.

As an aside, I'm reading a book by Shane Claiborne called "The Irresistible Revolution" and it's been challenging me a lot on the topics of poverty, community, and living as Jesus did. I'm pretty sure I'll write on it once I've finished it.  Speaking of writing, NaNoWriMo started at midnight this morning, and my did I write some strange things.  More on that later as well.

Happy Halloween/ Reformation Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment