Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Origins

Copper Opera. 

What is it?  An enigma. A rip-off from Brecht's Three Penny deal.  A police officer singing soprano.

Actually, it's this:

I painted it for a silent auction at my school.  It was based off a sketch I made one day in math class when I was in one of my less attentive frames of mind: it is a woman singing in the midst of bleak reality, not too far off from how I was feeling, regarding the whitewashed class room and the pale hum and flicker of the projecter.  I liked the idea of painting something grayscale, and I feel it did the mood of the painting justice.  My roommate, who now owns the painting, says it is could be the visual manifestation of Canadian literature.  Not too sure about that.

But I liked the way its name worked phonetically: cOpper OperA - so much that it is now the name of this blog and the script I'm writing for ScriptFrenzy.  I'm just starting on page ten, by the way.  And the quote in the current heading of this blog is a line the Poet character opens the play with:  "Your golden buttons are painted brass, and your most prized possession may be a copper crucifix."  Surfaces are worthless: it's what lives at the core that moves us, changes us, shapes us.

2 comments:

  1. That is my painting.

    Also, I am following you. *looks mysterious*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was wondering what the story behind your title was! :) It's always neat to find out. Interesting painting.

    ReplyDelete