Thursday, December 9, 2010

Dramatic Monologue

I suppose the biggest recent event in my life was One Acts.


Now, I haven't been a drama minor long, and just as I was starting to warm up to this idea of being a "drama kid", three things happened: 


1. Some dear members of the GTC (Green Thespians' Club) came up to me and said "Brittni, we're not asking you, we're telling you that you must direct a play for One Acts". Okay...directing was something I never wanted to do again. Not after that time in high school where a play I wrote and directed (granted, probably the worst adaptation of the Robin Hood and King Arthur myths ever compiled this side of the middle ages) was cut before production. Oh, how guilty and incompetent I felt!  I got over it pretty quick though.  And since there were not that many people signed up to do shows this semester, I thought what the heck?  And that's how I came to direct three amazing actors in a ten minute piece I wrote called Walls.


2. I auditioned for a musical piece.  And surprisingly got a part.  Graeme and myself, as directed by Erica, performed "No Matter What" from the Broadway musical Beauty and the Beast.  It was splendid fun, especially when the invention crashed onto the stage during our opening night. The audience loved it. Or pitied us and only laughed to make us feel less bad.


3. Carla and Laura asked me to stage manage their capstone!  I learned so much about the backstage process during a full-length show. Our director, Nathania, was super encouraging. Josiah taught me how to work the light board, we made it through the speaker glitches, and I managed to play a song instead of a gunshot sound effect during a very serious scene.  It's serious, don't laugh.  Our PAs were fantastic to work with, and I managed to put together a stage managing binder with cues and everything!


So, that was my holistic drama experience.  I learned (again) that drama pretty much eats your life, but is totally worth it in the end.

2 comments:

  1. I like your blog, consider yourself "followed"
    (in a creepy stalker way)

    -Erik

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Girl! I just read your whole blog! You are awesome and wonderful and I love you and I misses you and also you are just great. Hearts and love.

    ReplyDelete