Thursday, September 2, 2010

The Week of Birdy-Bot


My sister has been at home the past couple weeks, which has been a delightful oddity: it's been a while since we've lived in the same space for more than a couple days.  So far we haven't killed each other.  Hopefully this will not happen in the last few days before I leave for school.

Have you ever noticed how much you take people for granted? Even though my little sis was as far as a city away, there was comfort in knowing I could meet her downtown in Edmonton, or text her whenever I needed that Chelsea punch.  Now it's her turn for a travelling adventure, and I can hardly believe I'm not going to see her for a whole year!

We've been making good use of our limited time together though.  Traversed the gelato and bookish streets of downtown Victoria; sat through construction on the way to Drumheller; made casts of fossils at the museum with a group of ten year olds; prepared "fake" Christmas with all our family's traditional fixin's; spurts of packing up boxes; battled over Bananagrams...

How did it come to be that all of a sudden she was all grown up and calling me Birdy?  I thought Alice would be a good nickname for her - she's pretty much falling through to the other side of the world, a Wonderland full of new sights and tastes and animals (koalas!) - but it hasn't stuck.

1 comment:

  1. I haven't got a sister, but I've always wanted one (brothers just aren't the same, though I'm getting along with them better as I get older too). Sounds like you had a fun week. I hope your sister enjoys her time in Oz. I loved it there, though I found travelling by myself got lonely. :)

    ReplyDelete